Summer is just around the corner. Are you ready? And no, we’re not talking bikini-body-ready—that’s so last year (not to mention, problematic). If you want to wear a bikini, then you ARE bikini-body ready! We’re celebrating good vibes this year, which is why we are stoked for the sunshine, sandals and fresh air.
1. Elevate your energy
Getting invited to places is cool, but actually going is a totally different story. Let’s try to put ourselves out there, instead of sitting on the sidelines. Say “yes” to whatever events you can. But if you’re not invited anywhere, what are you supposed to do? That’s easy, make your own plans and invite others. Let’s hang out with our Tribe! (If you haven’t already, make sure our Summit convention is on your summer itinerary.)
With all the hangouts you’re going to, it’s important to stay energized. You don’t want to burn yourself out and have to sit out of fun times. Here’s some ways to increase your energy.
Work in some cardio
Wait, wait…are we suggesting exercise to help you boost energy? Yup, we sure are. While you may feel tired right after a workout, your overall endurance can increase in the long run. Still don’t believe us? Okay, let us explain.
When exercising, your body can release endorphins, hormones that help regulate mood and energy (1). That’s one of the reasons why doctors and nutritionists may prescribe increased activity for anxiety relief. So, more exercise, more happy endorphins.
What’s more, regular exercise can help increase endurance, especially for those facing fatigue issues. One study published in Psychotherapy and Psychosomatics followed young adults with persistent fatigue as they performed aerobic exercise (2). After logging their results and energy levels, researchers found that participants could work out for longer by the end.
It’s worth mentioning that lower intensity workouts had the best results when compared to a higher intensity in this study. That might be something to watch out for–don’t go too hard!
Say no to artificial boosters
In a pinch, you might want to grab an energy or sports drink to help you power through, especially on hot days. During the summer months, these drinks seem especially appetizing. But fight the temptation. These sugary drinks can pack a bunch of empty calories, leaving you feeling even worse afterward.
Instead, look to whole foods for more natural alternative. Two of our own blends come to mind:
- Can’t Beet! This: Made with beets, cordecyps mushroom and coffee berry, this red blend helps support your motivations, naturally. Because of the veggie’s nitrate-content, it can help reduce your body’s oxygenation cost, allowing for more stamina (3). The cordyecyps boasts similar benefits (4).
- Bee Energetic: Adrenal fatigue is real, but that doesn’t mean you should let it ruin your fun in the sun! This blend relies on the power of cordyceps, bee pollen, spirulina and American ginseng. For those who don’t want caffeine, this is the way to go.
Get your energy levels in check and move on to tip 2!
2. Power Up Your Immunity
Getting sick during the summer is the worst. It just doesn’t feel right sitting in bed while people are out having fun, right? That’s why it’s important to take care of your immune health.
So just how do you do this? Well, here are a few of our tips.
Superfood-ify your diet
Is that a word? It should be, but you get our point. Cleveland Clinic suggests that increasing your fruit and veggie intake can help stave of sickness. This is due in part to their antioxidant and vitamin content. Particularly, you’ll want to eat foods rich in vitamin C, B6 and E.
Some great foods to eat include:
- oranges and tangerines
- amla berry
- nuts and seeds
Fill in the gaps when necessary
There’s nothing wrong with leaning on a little supplement-help every once and a while. Here are some Purium products that would be great in your immune system health-kit, especially on days when you’re feeling the sickness creep in.
- Kids Immune Shield: This non-pharmaceutical spray is safe for kids, boasting the immune boosting powers of amla, elderberry fruit and more.
- ImmunoMax: Made from cat’s claw, green tea, aloe vera and more, this blend helps support immunity with plant-based, holistic herbs.
- Vir-u-Sure: This blend supports the body’s natural viral response with sea algae, such as gigartina and spirulina
And now we move onto a similar, but equally important tip!
3. Gear Up Your Gut
Your gut, also known as your microbiome, is super important for immune health and total body health. (5) This is true even for kids. From digestive woes to generally feeling icky, you won’t want your stomach to keep you from having fun this summer.
Here are some daily supplements that may help alleviate stomach struggles:
- Digestive enzymes: Very Well Fit reports that these natural proteins can help prevent symptoms of indigestion, like constipation. What’s more, they can help protect you from uncomfortable flare-ups from conditions like Crohn’s or ulcerative colitis.
- Probiotics: The bacteria in your stomach is important when it comes to your immune health. Some probiotics, like Lactobacillus rhamnosus, can even help prevent diarrhea. (6) Fill your stomach with good bacteria to help get rid of the bad.
- Biome Medic: It’s a sad fact that our stomachs have been damaged by GMOs – either from our youth or eating the occasional take out meal. This wondrous supplement helps to protect and repair your stomach from those GMOs!
So, we’ve talked a lot about making you feel good on the inside. But what about on the outside?
4. Protect Your Skin
Here’s two ways to protect your skin this summer.
Protect yourself from the sun’s rays
When you’re out enjoying the sun’s rays this summer, let’s not forget to protect ourselves too! UVA rays & UVB rays can be pretty damaging to skin. In fact, the Skin Cancer Foundation suggests we take proactive steps to combat these rays.
According to the foundation, you should:
- Stay in the shade when possible.
- Use broad spectrum sunscreen with an SPF of 15 for everyday errands, but SPF 30 and higher when hitting the beach.*
- Keep applying sunscreen throughout the day.
*Sunscreen has always been controversial. Why? Certain sunscreens can actually cause harm to your skin due to their dangerous ingredients. We suggest following the Environmental Working Groups guidelines and also using natural alternatives like astaxanthin.
Gorge on natural, skin-enriching, whole foods
And if you’re looking for a little help with your skin, look no further than whole foods. What you eat does affect your skin, so it’s important to be mindful. Here are some foods to eat for better skin, from lifestyle brand Gaia’s favorite list:
- berries (stawberries, blueberries and goji berries)
And what are some of our favorites? We love natural collagen boosters and hydrating fruits like:
- aloe vera
- rosehip (found in our Bio Regen)
- horesetail herb
- ho shou wu
While you’re taking care of your skin, don’t neglect the other parts of your body too! Here’s a final tip.
5. Protect Your Hair
Too many times, we neglect the health of our hair. That’s why we’re giving our hair its own section. So, just how do you protect your luscious mane in time for summer? Mind Body Green gives some great tips:
- Use a hat or visor when necessary to protect your scalp and hair from the sun.
- Apply safe sunscreen to your hair. (Yes, that is possible, but make sure your specific brand is hair-safe.)
- Use natural oils, like raspberry seed, avocado, coconut and olive.
If you’re looking for holistic help, our Bio Renew blend relies on natural collagen-boosters to help the health of your skin, hair and nails–all-in-one.
Have a great summer, everyone!