Cannabidiol (CBD), aka “hemp oil” or “hemp extract,” emerged as one of the biggest health trends in 2018 and so far, it’s not showing any signs of stopping. While health practitioners applaud its oil for the ability to promote health, wellness and well-being, many have began to ponder another question: can it help change the number on my scale?
Let’s see what the science says.
Can CBD Help You Lose Weight?
Here’s what you need to know:
- CBD may contribute to weight loss routine indirectly, but there is no conclusive evidence that standalone use will directly result in shedding lbs.
- Research is promising though and we don’t doubt that more extensive research is in development.
Photo idea: someone on a scale?
Marijuana and Weight Loss
There are studies that link cannabis with weight loss, and that might seem relevant because CBD is a chemical component of the plant. However, we’re choosing not to talk about that.
Why? Well, because cannabis contains the psychoactive THC and CBD contains very little. The studies did not determine if CBD could have fared just as well in those studies without the psychoactive compound.
So, we’re just going to talk about CBD alone. But don’t worry, it is just as promising.
CBD, Brown Fat & Weight Loss
CBD has been linked to weight loss through its relationship with brown fat.
Before we go too far, here’s the lowdown on brown fat and why it relates to weight loss. There are two main types of fat: brown and white. For right now, brown is seen as a “good” fat.
Whereas white fat preserves energy, studies (like one published in the Diabetes & Metabolism Journal back in 2016) have shown that brown fat can actually promote energy. This means it can help your body burn calories, encouraging a faster metabolism.
Interestingly enough, we all had a decent amount of brown fat in our bodies when were younger. However, as we age, it changes into white fat.
So, why the little science lesson? Why does this matter? Well, because CBD might be able to help the body to create more brown fat rather than white.
A 2016 study published in Molecular and Cellular Biochemistry associated CBD with the browning of white fat cells. More specifically, the Korean study also found that CBD oil could potentially increase certain proteins and lipid metabolism, two essential mechanisms of weight loss.
Because it could potentially convert “bad” fat to “good” fat, the researchers at the Department of Biotechnology, Daegu University, Kyungsan recommended further study on how CBD could be used to prevent obesity.
We should mention, however, no particular dosages were specified.
Photo idea: someone writing in a food journal?
Despite the ambiguity and inconclusiveness of this topic, anecdotal evidence for losing weight is aplenty. Seriously, just give Reddit a quick scroll.
Why is that? We have a theory.
Weight Loss Essentials
When you are looking to lose weight, there are few things you are told to do, which might include:
- Managing stress and mood
- Making time for exercise/activity
Because CBD can help promote wellness, it may be able to positively affect other certain aspects of your life. Hypothetically speaking, it can help support a weight loss journey.
If you’re using the oil to help manage stress and mood, it might help you stay away from mood-related binge eating. It might even help you stay motivated to workout or eat better, especially if you previously suffered from fatigue. So, indirectly, it can contribute as more of a secondary benefit.
It’s almost like icing on the cake (it’s okay, you deserve it). Some people who are using CBD for specific symptoms may see weight loss simply because they are more motivated to commit to healthy habits.
photo idea: someone exercising while smiling?
Tip on Losing Weight
We must say this — we wouldn’t advocate going on CBD simply to lose weight. There’s a chance that you won’t lose weight at all.
So, instead, we have different tips for you if weight loss is your main goal:
- Focus on what you eat. Consume less sugar and processed foods. You might also consider to eat more plant-based and whole foods. This means more fruits and veggies. Maybe give a more flexitarian lifestyle a try.
- Increase your activity/exercise. You don’t necessarily need to run a marathon, but a brisk walk every day can help get your blood moving and your metabolism too.
- Ensure fiber is essential to your food intake. Fiber helps your body process nutrients and get rid of waste. If you aren’t getting enough fiber, don’t be afriad to look for supplements.
- Rest easy and rest well. Sleep is absolutely essential to losing weight.
- Balance your microbiome. Your microbiome needs to be in optimal shape to help digest foods, absorb essential nutrients and help fight sickness. We recommend staying away from GMOs and giving our Biome Medic (a pre- and probiotic with clinical results) a try.
Pure + Premium: CBD+
You can purchase our pure + premium, hemp-derived CBD at PuriumCBD.com. CBD+ combines full spectrum and pure CBD extract in organic hemp seed oil, and is available unflavored or in peppermint flavor.
Studies and Links