Billions of dollars each year are spent trying to relax the facial stress and skeletal tension that cause age lines and wrinkles. Billions of dollars each year are also spent on relaxation supplements by people eager to get a good night’s sleep. Naturopathic medicine shows us that there are specific foods and herbs that can help you do all the above at the same time! The following ingredients have been used for centuries by indigenous people to support relaxation and to age gracefully.
- Kava root (Piper methysticum) is used medicinally to help calm anxiety, reduce stress, and alleviate insomnia and restlessness. For centuries, Kava has been used as a ceremonial drink by people living in the Pacific Islands. In Fiji, the plant is called “yaquona.” In Hawaii, it is known as ” ‘awa.” In Aboriginal tribes, it is referred to as “grog.“
- Tart cherries (Prunus cerasus) may offer nature’s most powerful combination of cell-rejuvenating antioxidants and rare plant compounds. Tart cherries naturally help the body produce melatonin which helps balance circadian rhythms, as well as anthocyanins and bioflavonoids that promote healthy joint function. Grown in North America, they are also thought to be helpful for reducing inflammation and the symptoms of arthritis and gout.
- Organic passionflower (Passiflora incarnata) was used traditionally in the Americas and later in Europe as a calming herb for anxiety, insomnia, seizures, and hysteria. It is still used today to treat anxiety and insomnia. Passionflower contains calming, sleep-inducing phytochemicals. Scientists believe passionflower works by increasing levels of a chemical called gamma aminobutyric acid (GABA) in the brain. GABA lowers the activity of some brain cells, making you feel more relaxed.
- Organic cranberries (Vaccinium macrocarpon) are a strong source of antioxidants to help you look beautiful inside and out. Cranberry has been used as both food and medicine for centuries. Early settlers from England living in North America learned to use the berry both raw and cooked for many conditions. Cranberry fruit is high in antioxidants, partly from substances called proanthocyanidins, which also give cranberries their vibrant color.
- Hyaluronic acid helps in the appearance of firmness of skin and overall vitality. Helping to maintain healthy collagen, the acid keeps the skin moisturized and reduce the chance of wrinkles. There is also much speculation about its anti-aging properties as well! “Some medical researchers believe that Yuzuri Hara [in Japan], known as The Village of Long Life, and its residents may hold the key to anti-aging secrets: the local diet that is unique to the village.” Their diet contains a lot of locally grown complex carbohydrates (like “satsumaimo, a type of sweet potato; satoimo, a sticky white potato; konyaku, a gelatinous root vegetable concoction; and imoji, a potato root”) that happen to help with the production of hyaluronic acid. More studies are required but anecdotally the residents attribute the retention of their youthfulness and outliving their city-living children to their diets rich in hyaluronic acid.
Purium has combined these time-tested ingredients into a blend called “Relax” which is part of the bio skincare line. The efficacy of Purium’s skincare line is based on the premise of nourishing the cells of the body inside and out with carefully selected foods and herbs. Relax provides for deep, restful sleep as well as tension relief while awake and is best taken before bed.
If you are on any medications, please check with your primary physician before taking Relax.