Updated Jan 19, 2022
In 2019, we launched our Epi-Genius line: Epi-Genius Kids and Epi-Genius Dogs. Our superfood gurus formulated these products based on the growing study of epigenetics, the idea that we can can help suppress certain gene traits while expressing others. To put it simply, we believe nutrition can help flip the switch off on bad genes while promoting good genes instead!
Awesome, right?! Today, we’re talking about Epi-Genius Kids and how its superfoods ingredients can help support healthy living. So, if you want to learn more about our proprietary blends, read on!
Voluntary Recall – Epi-Genius Kids
Purium is dedicated to the highest standards of purity and we take that commitment very seriously. Certain lots of Epi-Genius Kids (sold between May 2020 and April 2021) are being voluntarily recalled because they may contain trace amounts of milk due to cross-contimation from shared equipment that touches milk. The one raw material that may be afffected is the Medium Chain Triglyceride Oil powder, which is included in our Functional Fat blend and the trace amount is minimal.
Your safety is our top priority and we have not received any reports of ilness. If you have a milk allergy or sensitivity and wish to receive a replacement for product on hand please take a photo of the lot code of your affected product and submit to: https://pure-premium.typeform.com/to/sAYr0zb3.
This recall is being carried out with the knowledge of the Food and Drug Administration. We apologize for any inconvenience this may pose and assure you we are diligent in our defense of your food, its purity and its safety. Consumers with questions can contact: http://bit.ly/AskPurium.
The recalled products bear the following lot code information and were sold during the period of May 2020 – April 2021.
Epi-Genius Kids Breakdown
What’s In It?
Did you know that our Epi-Genius Kids packs 20 organic superfoods, protein, probiotics, prebiotics, digestive enzymes, greens, vitamins and MORE? How did we fit ALL of that in one biodegradable Terra Pouch? We amaze ourselves sometimes….
Here’s a general overview of our proprietary blends.
Proprietary Protein Blend
First up, we’re covering our proprietary protein blend. Protein powders may not be the first thing that comes to mind when thinking of your child’s nutrition, but it is still important. According to the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey, most children do not get their daily recommended amount of protein.
Protein helps muscle growth, but also helps repair tissues. What’s more, protein can help provide amino acids. In fact, protein contains some amino acids that your body does not have the ability to make (but still requires) (1).
Our proprietary blend mixes both pea protein and hemp protein. We use plant-based alternatives to protein, rather than animal parts. Both protein sources can help provide essential amino acids. What’s more, protein made from hemp seeds could help provide omega-3’s. (2)
Wouldn’t you rather sip on a chocolate smoothie with hemp protein for omega-3’s rather than choking down stinky, fish-smelling capsules? We thought so!
Proprietary Organic Antioxidant Fruit and Berry Blend
If you love fruits and their juices, then we have good news! Epi-Genius Kids packs a whopping 13 different kinds! From the vibrant-colored acerola extract to organic strawberry, these fruits boast antioxidants, minerals and essential vitamins.
In specific, you can find the following fruit vitamins in our new blend. Plus, we’ll tell you how the vitamins contribute to nutrition, according to the National Institutes of Health:
- A – Supports healthy vision, skin and bones
- B1 (thiamin)– Supports energy, glucose metabolism and major heart function
- B3 (niacin)- Encourages healthy cholesterol and healthy heart health
- B6/Folate – Helps create energy, and supports DNA and cell formation
- B12 – Supports nerve functions, heart health and more
- C – Encourages immune health and can help the body produce natural collagen
- D – Promotes strong bone health and calcium absorption in the stomach
- E – Protects cells from oxidative damage, supporting healthy skin, eyesight hormone-production and more
Please note that these vitamins come from whole foods in our blend, rather than external extracts.
So, why are these vitamins so important for epigenetics? Consuming antioxidants and vitamins from fruits may help stave off illness, heart disease and more. (3) These plant chemicals may also help suppress the likelihood of developing some cancers (4).
Here are some of our favorite fruits from our blend:
- tart cherry
Proprietary Vegetable Blend
In addition to fruits, Epi-Genius Kids also consists of phytonutrient-rich vegetables. Vegetables naturally provide the body vitamins, minerals, fiber, folate, antioxidants and more! We’ve spoken about why vitamins, antioxidants and fiber are important for nutrition, but do you know why minerals from veggies are important?
Here’s a list of minerals you can find in our blend along with nutritional information according to Harvard Health Publishing.
- Calcium: Supports teeth and bone strength
- Iron: Encourages healthy blood flow and production of amino acids, collagen and hormones
- Phosphorus: Promotes bone and teeth strength, and production of protein
- Magnesium: Helps balance blood pressure and bone strength
- Zinc: Encourages healthy blood flow and immune health
- Copper: Helps fight free radicals and red blood cell production
- Manganese: Encourages bone strength, and metabolizes amino acids and carbs
As you can see, the minerals you can get from veggies are important for bone strength. For your child’s health, minerals are important to help their growing bodies. The National Institute of Health encourages consumption of minerals and vitamins through whole foods. That is why we use only pure and premium superfoods in our blends.
Here are just a few of our favorites from the Epi-Genius Kids blend:
- sweet potato
Proprietary Algae Blend
From veggies found in the earth, we move on to veggies from the sea: algae! So, why would would we include sea plants in our blend? Well, why not? Sea algae can help provide trace minerals from the sea. In addition, they often boast vitamins, such like the fruits and veggies found in earth.
We use spirulina and chlorella for this specific blend. According to the United State Department of Agriculture, spirulina helps provide calcium, magnesium, potassium, sodium, iron, protein and vitamin C. Chlorella is just as great, supplying vitamins, minerals, omega-3’s and antioxidants.
Omega-3s are fatty acids that support the body and brain. In fact, they are important children’s health very early on in their lives. (5) That’s why we carefully crafted our functional fat blend.
Proprietary Functional Fat Blend
From algae, we move on to functional fats. What exactly are functional fats? These fats help the body produce energy and have even been connected to better brain health. (6) Some studies have also connected good fats with the management of diseases such as diabetes and even autism. (7)
Here are the fats you can find in our blend:
- medium chain triglyceride (MCT) oil
- natural vitamin E from sunflower seed oil
Biome Medic & Digestive Enzymes
From functional fats, we move on to Biome Medic and digestive enzymes. Yes, that’s right! Epi-Genius Kids is the first Purium blend to incorporate Biome Medic. Now, you don’t need to take the separate pill!
The gut microbiome is important to everyone’s health, even for kids. Why? Because our gut is also known as our “second brain,” and its connected to other parts of our body. Poor gut health could be detrimental to mood, sleep and other body functions.
What make’s Biome Medic so great for the gut microbiome? Well, its comprised of plant chemicals that can help support the bacteria in your stomach and support regulation. Digestive wheat germ extract helps the stomach digest carbs and regulate metabolism through biologically active compounds. (8) Plus, ingredients like fulvic and humic acid help support the body’s natural detoxing process. Finally, Biome Medic contains Bacillus coagulans, a probiotic strain found to help encourage healthy digestion and prevent uncomfortable symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome, like diarrhea. (9)
If that wasn’t enough, our new product boasts a proprietary digestive enzyme blend, too! These can help you digest certain foods better (like dairy or gluten) and help convert protein to amino acids. Here are the ones you can find in Epi-Genius Kids:
Superfoods for a Super You
Our superfood gurus carefully construct each of our products for optimal nutrition. Are you enjoying Epi-Genius Kids? Let us know on Instagram or in the comments!
- Tömösközi, S., Lasztity, R., Haraszi, R., & Baticz, O. (2001). Isolation and study of the functional properties of pea proteins. Food/Nahrung, 45(6), 399-401.
- Teh, S. S., & Birch, J. (2013). Physicochemical and quality characteristics of cold-pressed hemp, flax and canola seed oils. Journal of Food Composition and Analysis, 30(1), 26-31.
- Ghezzi, P., Jaquet, V., Marcucci, F., & Schmidt, H. H. (2017). The oxidative stress theory of disease: levels of evidence and epistemological aspects. British journal of pharmacology, 174(12), 1784-1796.
- Vance, T. M., Su, J., Fontham, E. T., Koo, S. I., & Chun, O. K. (2013). Dietary antioxidants and prostate cancer: a review. Nutrition and cancer, 65(6), 793-801.
- Helland, I. B., Smith, L., Saarem, K., Saugstad, O. D., & Drevon, C. A. (2003). Maternal supplementation with very-long-chain n-3 fatty acids during pregnancy and lactation augments children’s IQ at 4 years of age. Pediatrics, 111(1), e39-e44.
- Schönfeld, P., & Wojtczak, L. (2016). Short-and medium-chain fatty acids in energy metabolism: the cellular perspective. Journal of lipid research, 57(6), 943-954.
- Augustin, K., Khabbush, A., Williams, S., Eaton, S., Orford, M., Cross, J. H., … & Williams, R. S. (2018). Mechanisms of action for the medium-chain triglyceride ketogenic diet in neurological and metabolic disorders. The Lancet Neurology, 17(1), 84-93.
- Brandolini, A., & Hidalgo, A. (2012). Wheat germ: not only a by-product. International journal of food sciences and nutrition, 63(sup1), 71-74.
- Rogha, M., Esfahani, M. Z., & Zargarzadeh, A. H. (2014). The efficacy of a synbiotic containing Bacillus Coagulans in treatment of irritable bowel syndrome: a randomized placebo-controlled trial. Gastroenterology and hepatology from bed to bench, 7(3), 156.