You know the feeling: drained, exhausted or fatigued.
Maybe it hits you at work, right after lunch (or maybe when you arrive and have no idea how you’re going to make it through the day). Or maybe it happens at home and stops you from working out.
Whether it’s a lack of sleep, poor eating choices or mental stress, everyone can use a little energy boost from time to time.
So, how do you get that boost?
Energy drinks have become a staple in our culture, yet both the Journal of the American Heart Association (JAMA) and Mayo Clinic have reported that they are more harmful than caffeine. JAMA released a study that analyzed the effects of energy drinks on a group of 18 men and women.
The group first drank an energy drink concoction, made with everything you would find in a normal Monster, Red Bull or 5-hour Energy drink, such as caffeine, sugar and taurine. They also drank one drink with only caffeine. Researchers recorded the participants’ heart electrical activity for 24 hours after drinking both drinks and this is what they found:
- After drinking the energy drink, the participant’s ECG (a recording of the heart’s electrical activity) showed QTc prolongation. QTc prolongation is sometimes linked with life-threatening heartbeat irregularities.
- After only drinking the caffeinated drink, the participants did NOT show QTc prolongation.
- The participant’s blood pressure jumped by close to five points after drinking the energy drink.
- The participant’s blood pressure jumped by only one point after drinking the caffeinated drink.
While these numbers aren’t necessarily a red flag for a healthy person on a normal day, this still creates issues for people with certain heart conditions. But that doesn’t take away from the other issues that energy drinks can present.
Energy drinks can come with loads of sugar that can cause immediate crashes after consumption. They can even leave you feeling bloated instead of energized or jittery, standing still. And with JAMA and the Mayo Clinic reporting its harmful nature, maybe you should look for a more natural solution, like our CHARGE Spray.
Our CHARGE Spray offers the same dose of stable energy without the jitters or crash. Let our green tea and green coffee bean extract fill you with the energy you need to take on the day—all of this with tasty watermelon flavor!
For extra energy support, Purium Co-founder Dave Sandoval, suggests pairing the following products:
- Bee Energetic: may enhance energy throughout the day
- Apothe-Cherry: can support deep sleep.