The leaves are changing colors and falling to the ground, the air has a slight chill to it, and you are beginning to crave those delicious, warm comfort foods. Autumn must be here!
While you’re getting your rake out and putting on a sweater, let’s talk about some Fall food favorites. We have your squash and pumpkins, your pies, and your hot cocoa. Unfortunately, a majority of the recipes out there surrounding these foods don’t put in to consideration your healthy lifestyle. That’s where we come in!
We want to help you fully enjoy the cooler seasons and upcoming holidays while still being able to stick to your healthy lifestyle, so we’ve created this series of “Meal Makeovers” so you can make the dishes you love without falling off the health boat.
Today’s recipe: Vegetarian Chili and Cornbread
(Recipe from allrecipes.com, modified by editor)
- 1 tablespoon Purium Organic Tropic Oil (coconut oil)
- ½ organic medium onion (chopped)
- 2 organic bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon organic ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons organic dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon pink sea salt
- 2 stalks organic celery (chopped)
- 2 organic green bell peppers (chopped)
- 3 organic garlic cloves (chopped)
- 3 cans whole organic tomatoes (crushed)
- ¼ cup organic chili powder
- 1 can organic kidney beans (drained)
- 1 can organic garbanzo beans (drained)
- 1 can organic black beans (drained)
- 1 can organic whole kernel corn
- Heat the Purium Organic Tropic Oil in a large pot over medium heat. Stir in the onion, and season with bay leaves, cumin, oregano, and salt. Cook and stir until onion is tender, then mix in the celery, green bell peppers, and garlic. Reduce heat to low, cover pot, and simmer 5 minutes.
- Mix the tomatoes into the pot. Season chili with chili powder. Stir in the kidney beans, garbanzo beans, and black beans. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, and simmer 45 minutes. Stir in the corn, and continue cooking 5 minutes before serving.
(Recipe from www.foodiefiasco.com, modified by editor)
- 2 teaspoons Purium Organic Tropic Oil (coconut oil)
- 1 cup organic cornmeal
- ½ teaspoon pink sea salt
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup organic unsweetened almond milk
- ½ teaspoon organic apple cider vinegar
- 1 cage-free organic egg OR ½ tablespoon egg replacer plus 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon dried organic rosemary
- 1 teaspoon organic 100% pure honey
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Add the 2 teaspoons of Purium Organic Tropic Oil to an 8×8 baking dish and swirl so the bottom is coated. Bake in the oven for 10 minutes, until the oil is hot.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine the cornmeal, salt, and baking soda. Add in the almond milk, apple cider, vinegar, and egg or egg replacer and stir until no lumps remain. Stir in the dried rosemary.
- Pour the batter into the hot oiled pan and bake in the oven at 450°F for about 12 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Let cool then enjoy with your chili!