“I always say the quality of the food we eat will equal the quality of life we live. I firmly believe that human beings have the ability and the responsibility to maximize the potential of their existence, and that they can only do so if they take extreme care in the selection, preparation and consumption of their sustenance, AKA the food which keeps them alive.” – David Sandoval
We all know that we need to eat “right” – but what does that mean exactly? And how can we possibly eat right on one of the most popular feast days in the country?
Here are a few tips for you to avoid that Thanksgiving food coma that has become all too familiar.
- HAVE A GREEN DRINK & A HEARTY BREAKFAST – Start your day with Scoop of Greens, Power Shake, or Best of Greens. Then, about 20 minutes later, eat a generous portion of Nora Wohlfeld’s oatmeal (prepared the night before, recipe can be found under ‘Thanksgiving Recipes’ in the blog). Having a green drink first and foremost to alkalize your body and feed it valuable nutrients will also reduce your cravings for sweets. Having a hearty meal will make you less likely to overindulge later on lunch or dinner.
- CHOOSE THE BEST INGREDIENTS POSSIBLE – Opt for homemade dishes whenever possible as opposed to store bought. You can opt for the traditional dishes but avoid using white bread / refined grains, white sugar, margarine, table salt, canola, corn (unless organic), high fructose corn syrup, or any artificial ingredients.
- START WITH THE HEALTHIEST ITEMS FIRST – Have a big helping of salads and veggies, then move on to the meats and save the carbohydrate laden foods for last. Take small portions of dessert (maybe just take a bite or two of a few different ones).
- CURB YOUR CRAVINGS – Help curb your cravings and gain control of your appetite with Purium’s CONTROL Pre-Meal capsules taken 30 minutes prior to your meal. CONTROL Pre-Meal Capsules were formulated to help you feel satisfied faster and to help reduce the impact of high carbohydrates and sugar foods, lessening the possibility that your body will convert them into fat.
- ‘BLESS EACH BITE’ – Throughout your meal, take your time to savor each bite. Be grateful for the food on your plate and chew everything very thoroughly. Digestion starts in the mouth so making sure to really masticate your food well will make life a lot easier for your tummy! It also takes around 20 minutes for your brain to signal that it is full, if you rush through your meal, you won’t give your body a chance to alert you to stop eating before you reach that dreaded food coma.
BONUS – For added insurance, take Purium’s Advanced Probiotic Blend and Enzyme Advantage (digestive enzymes) with your meal to help with digestive process, especially if you will not be getting live enzymes from raw fruits and veggies within your meal. And if all else fails, have a teaspoon of 40X Aloe Vera concentrate (mixed in water) afterward to reduce your belly bloat.
With just a little preparation and smart food choices, you can enjoy a delicious holiday feast without discomfort, gaining weight, or feeling like you missed out. Happy Thanksgiving!