Halloween is a great time to be creative with both our costumes and our treats. Unfortunately, overloading on all that candy can do a scary number on our blood sugar levels.
According to Dr. Sandy Corlett of the Diabetes Resource Center, “Most people walk around every day in some state of blood sugar imbalance. Nearly half of those with blood sugar problems don’t know it! The most overlooked symptoms are fatigue, depression, stress, and obesity. You do not have to be 50 – 100 lbs overweight to have a blood sugar problem.” Especially after Halloween!
So what do you do about it? After eating all that Halloween candy, elevated blood sugar levels are to be expected and you can use plant-based nutrition to bring yourself back in balance. Here are some foods to help stabilize your blood sugar
1. Nopal (Opuntia Streptacantha) promotes weight loss by absorbing water and providing a feeling of satiety. It has a positive effect on blood sugar and helps reduce the appetite and control carbohydrate cravings. It can also reduce cholesterol by promoting the excretion of fats from the body. It aids digestion by absorbing toxins from the bowel as well as increasing the rate at which food passes through the system.
2. Nutritious Greens like Kamut wheatgrass juice and barley green juice, broccoli and spinach, which contain magnesium, a cofactor in many enzyme systems involved in blood sugar control are very important. Cereal grasses may also help your digestion, circulation, and immune systems, as well as tone your skin, through their cleansing, detoxifying actions. Green foods provide numerous beneficial nutrients that are missing from other foods including:
- Chlorophyll, which helps detoxify and oxygenate the body.
- Enzymes which are responsible for virtually every chemical reaction at a cellular level
- Trace minerals which are typically missing from our foods due to the sad state of mineral depleted soils around the world. In fact, trace mineral deficiencies are thought to contribute to many diseases in the world today.
- Green foods are also a rich source of vegetable proteins. These lightweight proteins enhance the immune system, increase reproductive functions and serve as the building blocks for lean connective tissue. Strong connective tissues increase the strength of our skeletal and muscular systems, and make us less susceptible to the stresses life puts on our bodies.
- Lastly, green foods help to alkalize, or neutralize acids and thus help to restore the body’s natural pH balance. Green foods are essential for healthy digestion.
3. Germinated barley grain and oatmeal are high quality, slow-burning carbohydrates that give you sustained energy without the crash caused by energy drinks. Activated Barley also has the highest amount of convertible beta glucan, which is a soluble fiber. Studies have also shown that slow burning carbohydrates and whole grain nutrition like these 2 sources to be effective at reducing glucose and insulin responses.
4. Purium Health Product’s Scoop of Greens is a plant-based supplement that contains nutritious greens, germinated barley grain, soluble rice bran and alpha lipoic acid all-in-one. This means the essential vitamins, minerals, lightweight vegetarian proteins, chlorophyll, trace minerals and enzymes in Scoop of Greens are perfect for helping to manage blood sugar levels. Plus, the tasty blend of greens and whole grains helps to regulate and balance internal pH and the powder form makes it very easy to add to your daily diet.
This proprietary formula was created by David Sandoval when his good friend, Grammy award winning rapper and MTV personality Fatman Scoop, came to him for help in the midst of a blood sugar crisis. David helped “Scoop” and then named the product after him. And now this same powerhouse, superfood formula is available to help you and your family. In fact, the formula is so effective in managing blood sugar, the formula was awarded the prestigious U.S. Seal of Approval as a beneficial food acceptable for diabetic consumption and is endorsed by the Diabetes Resource Center.
In a perfect world we would only indulge our sweet tooth with the purest of ingredients (think chocolates, raw honey and dates) but artificially flavored and sweetened junk food happens sometimes…especially when it is right in front of us. Get prepared in advance, especially during the holiday season. When you do feel another craving for sweets, have healthier options on hand such as organic strawberries dipped in dark chocolate. Both are low-glycemic and delicious so they will help you to maintain healthy blood sugar levels as opposed to potentially raising it dangerously, while still providing a delicious treat for your palate.