Cooking Tips,Family,Food,Kids,Meal Planning,Nutrition,Plant Power,Recipes,This Not That,Weight Loss
15 Dec , 2016
Meal Makeover: Gingerbread Cookies
The holidays are here and desserts are everywhere! Candy canes, sugar cookies, and gingerbread men (and women) galore! This will either leave you feeling tempted to cheat your healthy lifestyle for the month or missing out on holiday favorites. Don’t you worry, we’ve got your back with a healthy alternative so you can participate in the holiday treats without the guilt!
- 3 cups Purium Activated Barley
- 2 teaspoons organic ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons organic ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon organic nutmeg
- 3/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon organic ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon organic ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon arrowroot
- 1/2 cup melted Purium Tropic Oil (coconut oil)
- 1/2 cup unsulfured organic molasses
- 1/2 cup organic coconut sugar
- 1 large free-range organic egg (or egg substitute such as 1/4 cup organic unsweetened applesauce)
- 1 1/2 teaspoon organic vanilla extract
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the activated barley, sea salt, ginger, black pepper, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, coconut sugar, baking powder, and arrowroot.
- In a mixer bowl with beater, add the molasses, coconut oil, vanilla, and egg (or egg substitute). Low speed until fully mixed.
- Pour the dry ingredients in the mixer bowl and stir dry and wet ingredients until completely mixed.
- Roll out until about 1/8″ thick.
- Sprinkle activated barley and use cookie cutters to make cookie shapes.
- Bake for 12 minutes then carefully transfer to a cooling rack.