Fast food is bad enough as it is with the unnecessary additives, fillers, toxic ingredients, etc. but to make matters even worse there was a study done showing that the packaging of fast food items are leaking into the foods and this packaging has very toxic chemicals!
The chemicals that are found in this packaging and that are seeping into the foods you buy at fast food restaurants are called phthalates which are a highly effective waterproof/non-stick chemical. It is, however, toxic enough that 200 scientists from around the world banned it.
When this study was done they found that people who regularly ate fast food had 40% higher levels of phthalates in their urine. This chemical that “research has linked with increased risk of fibroids and endometriosis, which can cause infertility, and reduced IQ and behavioral problems in children exposed in the womb. High phthalate levels have also been linked with diabetes risk in women and adolescents.” This report was released by the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists.
While diet is the biggest culprit, there are other daily items that we come in contact with that contain phthalates such as soaps, perfumes, nail polish, and medications. The chemical can be dangerous by being absorbed through the skin, ingested, or inhaled.
According to this article, “more studies will need to be done to see which menu items specifically lead to spikes in phthalates, Birnbaum said. The current study found that grain-based items and fast foods containing meat were linked with greater increases in phthalate levels. This could be because of the way these foods are processed and packaged or because the fats in these foods bind phthalates better.”
If you needed another sign to stop eating fast foods and to also just read labels in general, then here it is!