When did skin care get so complicated? With so many products on the market screaming for your attention, it can be hard to see through the clutter and find a regimen that works best for you. What will clear your pores? Make you look younger? Prevent aging? Protect you from the sun?
The good news is that caring for your skin doesn’t have to be a 20 step process. It’s actually pretty simple. Here are 5 steps to a softer, healthier, and younger-looking face:
- Cleanse — Should have seen that coming, right? Think of all the dirt and pollution in the air that is clinging to your face every day. Make sure you’re using a good cleanser… not just your regular bar of soap that can dry out your face and clog your pores. If you choose a cleansing regimen that is too harsh for your skin, you can actually cause damage. We recommend Purium’s Bio cleanser, made with nourishing ingredients including jojoba and orange peel. A natural cleanser like this will leave your face feeling clean and refreshed!
- Exfoliate — This step isn’t necessary for everyone, but as we get older it becomes more important. Skin cell turnover becomes less frequent with age, leaving your complexion dull and lackluster. If you use an exfoliant to gently remove dead skin cells, your skin will regain it’s brilliance and silky smooth texture. Exfoliants generally have little beads or sand-like particles to help rub away the dead skin and dirt in your pores. You have to be careful to use a gentle exfoliant that won’t damage your skin in the process. Purium’s Bio cleanser has tiny granules so you can clean your face and exfoliate, without having to purchase a separate product.
- Moisturize — A good facial moisturizer is important to keep away dry skin! We all know how awful it can be to have itchy, flaky dry skin from too much sun, cold weather, harsh winds, or from blowing our noses too much. Moisturizing with a rich, intensive cream can rejuvenate your skin from all the damage. We recommend trying Purium’s Bio night cream to lock in moisture and protect your skin when you need it most.
- Sunscreen — A good skincare regimen should always include sunscreen and here’s why: you need the sun just not the burn! Also, most of the damage to your skin from UV radiation is beneath the surface and happens slowly over time. That’s right…skin damage doesn’t only happen on beach days. Even the tiny bits of sun exposure we experience on a normal day — walking to our car, walking the dog — it all adds up and can lead to sunburn, aging, and increased risk of skin cancer. The best way to get vitamin D is from the sun so, do not get us wrong – you do not want to avoid sun completely. Instead, get 10 – 30 minutes on your face and hands (depending on your skin’s melanin content) but use a natural sunscreen for the time you are in the sun beyond that. Make sure to get your natural sunscreen from a reputable source that doesn’t contain harsh chemicals (try your local health food store). We want to protect ourselves from sun damage in the healthiest way possible. Another great addition to your skin care regimen is to add Purium’s Super Xanthin which naturally provides some protection from UV A and B damage among other benefits.
- Protect the Lips and Eyes — These are the most important parts of your face, so take good care of them! Keeping your lips moisturized and protected from the sun’s rays is an absolute must, even in winter. Have you ever had windburn? Ouch! And your eyes… they age the fastest. You can slow that process down with the right skin care. Choose an all natural chapstick with SPF and an eye cream made from whole, natural ingredients. Purium’s Bio night cream is gentle enough to double as an eye cream if you want to moisturize and reduce the cellular effects of aging.